When you’ve had an accident, the first thing on your mind will obviously be to make sure that you and anyone else involved is OK, that you or someone else has called for medical assistance and the accident scene has been made safe for other people. Being involved in an accident will be an upsetting and scary experience and you may be in pain and not able to do anything other than look after yourself. If this is the case, then try to make sure that someone calls the Police, or a relevant authority, to record the details of the accident.
However, if the accident was not your fault and you want to make a claim for compensation, then there are certain steps you should take straightaway. Taking these steps at the accident scene or as soon as possible afterwards will give the claim the best chance of being successful. It will be very useful for you to keep these things in mind in case you are involved in an accident.
(If you are unsure whether you can make a claim, please check our article on our blog post, What can I claim for?
What do I need to do after an accident?:
The steps you should take as soon as possible after an accident will depend on what type of accident you have had. Click on the links below for a quick and handy guide as to what to do after an accident:
A. Road accident i.e. as a driver or passenger in a car or any type of vehicle (including a bicycle);
B. Accident at work;
C. Accident on a road or in a shop or in any type of premises.
N.B. if you have been involved in any other type of accident that is not detailed in one of the above links, then please call one of specialist personal injury lawyers to discuss your case.
In addition to all of the steps talked about above and possibly the most important step you can take, is to obtain the advice and assistance of a specialist personal injury lawyer. This will give your claim the best chance of being successful. The specialist personal injury lawyer will:
- Make all the necessary investigations and assessments of your case;
- Assist you to obtain the correct medical care and treatment;
- Obtain the full and correct evidence to support your claim and advise you about it;
- Advise you about the losses you can claim for including lost earnings, financial losses, future losses etc;
- Deal with all matters relating to your vehicle;
- Advise you about the value of your claim and the steps needed to settle the case;
- Guide you through the claim process and, if necessary, the court process;
- Act in your best interests at all times to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Therefore, if you have had an accident, call us now on 0161 749 9000 for a free initial discussion about the accident with one of our specialist personal injury lawyers and we can start to help you straightaway.